Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Introduction

When I was in high school, I wanted to be a teacher.  As I got closer to graduation, I changed my mind and entered my first year of college majoring in Chemical Engineering.  After a year of that, I decided engineering was not for me and transferred to Accounting.  I graduated with a BS in Accounting in 2000.  After five years, I decided I should have been a teacher all along.  I went through the MAT program at my hometown university and in May 2007 graduated with a teaching degree.

I taught high school Algebra I for two years at a local high school before moving to Alaska.  My older sister had already been teaching in Alaska for 5 years and had settled in the small rural Yup'ik village of Newtok.  In August 2007, I began my teaching career in Newtok, Alaska through the Lower Kuskokwim School District.  I teach secondary mathematics, grades 7-12.  I love my job!  I love the community and the environment.

I am currently enrolled in the M.Ed. program through UAS for an endorsement in Elementary Mathematics, grades K-8.  I do not think I will ever teach in the primary grades, but being a middle school teacher, I wanted to learn more about the basics of teaching math.  I want to learn as many strategies to teaching multiplication, division, fractions, estimation, etc.  so that I can be more beneficial to my students - many of them whom struggle with these basic concepts even throughout their middle school and beginning high school grades.

2 comments:

  1. Brandi, It's nice to have a familiar name (and face) in the class. I, like you, don't plan on using my M.Ed to teach el ed, but it's a great program to help us be better at teaching middle school and up...Gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brandi,
    It is great to see someone else going for the M.Ed, Mathematics. I also do not plan on teaching elementary school mathematics. I was hoping to learn new ways to teach college math. As I teach remedial math to adults, this leads me to believe that they may have missed something in their earlier mathematical life. I am just trying to figure out how to help them.

    ReplyDelete